2/07/2024

Every zoologist needs to learn research methodology: Dr. Kabirul Bashar

 Every zoologist needs to learn research methodology: Dr. Kabirul Bashar


Dr. Kabirul Bashar, Professor, Jahangirnagar University was present at tea with Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra’s online biology interview.  He is a renowned medical entomologist and has huge work on mosquito vector.


Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Firstly, what is your educational background ?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : I achieve my Ph.D. from Kanazawa University, Japan. During my Ph.D. I studied ecology and vectorial capacity of malaria vector mosquitoes in Bangladesh.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: As a zoologist and entomologist, what do you think, what training courses or extra education are needed to improve ?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : Every zoologist needs to learn statistics, informatics and research methodology. Moreover, we need to know about the recent update of the zoological field.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are you studying right now?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : At present, I am studying the mathematical modeling of vectors and bioinformatics.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What types of questions are trying to solve in your research? 

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : With my research, I am trying to make a mathematical model to forecast mosquito bone disease and recommend preventive measures.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What do you think, what are the challenges in a entomology field?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : There are several challenges in the entomology fields like job scarcity, people are not familiar with it, few experts in Bangladesh.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What do you think,  what are the misconception in entomology.

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : Entomology is not well known to the general people. Sometimes people mixed entomology with anthropology.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are your inspirations to study entomology? 

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : Insects occupied more than 80% of the animal kingdom. Economically and environmentally it is very important for human. Therefore, I decided to study entomology.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Can you tell me about your current research.

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : Currently, I am working on mosquito and mosquito-borne diseases to reduce morbidity and mortality.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: How do you think about human entomology interactions?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : Insects are the only animal that has huge interaction with human. The insect has beneficial and harmful roles. For example, the mosquito is killing millions of people worldwide every year. Many other insects are transmitting disease and damage crops. Some other insects have beneficial roles like pollination, apiculture sericulture, etc.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Can i tell you, you are successful zoologist and entomologist? Why or why not?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : I believe I am learning zoology and entomology. I cannot say that I am successful or not. People can judge me regarding my contribution to the entomological field.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Why do you like to work as zoologist and entomologist?Sometimes are you disappointed as zoologist and entomologist?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : I am very happy with my study and my works. I believe I took the right decision to be an entomologist.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are your future steps in  Conservation?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : I am working for the conservation of biodiversity. I discovered some biocontrol agent for the management of insect pest which can reduce the chemical pesticides worldwide. Chemical control is harmful to beneficial insects and other organisms. Reduce the use of chemical pesticides will help the conservation of biodiversity.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: How does your work in entomology benefit the society?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : Every year more than a hundred thousand people are affected by mosquito-borne disease in Bangladesh. I am working for the management of mosquitoes to reduce these barden which will benefit the society.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What is your memorable work.

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : My memorable work in the Lama area of Bandarban. In a remote village, I worked on the ecology and the control measure of malaria vector for 3 years. The villagers love me a lot like their son.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What advice would you give students who are looking to go into field work?

Dr. Kabirul Bashar : Entomological field work is very hard. So that students should have strong motivation and determination for that work. For successful fieldwork, you should build up relations with the local people. Be positive always in your whole life.

Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Thank you for giving me the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment