2/07/2024

There is no perfect and complete curriculum anywhere: Biplab Kumar Mandal

 


Biplab Kumar Mandal, associate professor of Jagannath University was present at tea with Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra’s online biology interview.  He has many experiences in the entomology field.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Firstly, what is your educational background ?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I was a NotreDamian; graduated from science group I had a break of study due to sickness followed by a bad attack of Chicken pox, and then got my bachelor and master degree in zoology , majoring entomology in master degree from Jahangirnagar University. I secured my DSc degree from Shanghai Ocean University, China.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: As zoologist and entomologist, what do you think, what training courses or extra education are needed to improve ?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : People should be good at data analysis and these days, a good knowledge of ICT is a must for academic people. Students know very well what they need and whatever the curriculum is, those who are concerned, they experience it by their own efforts, you know. There is no perfect and complete curriculum anywhere.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are you studying right now?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : For the last couples of years, I have been studying color biology, mainly the related molecular issues.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What types of questions are trying to solve in your research?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : We are searching answers for the annotations and expressions of different genes related to the color formation of common carps’ and their possible roles in different coloration pathways.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What do you think, what are the challenges in a entomology field?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I see only one challenge truly. The field is too big to handle and cumulate the new findings with the existing knowledge. Another one is, the field is not that much presentable or attractive to people of funding agencies, I don’t know why; if you agree it’s a challenge really.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What do you think, what are the misconception in entomology?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I don’t know. Again, there could have been misconceptions among people, no big deal it is. The only thing we need is to study, everyone knows that, I guess.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are your inspirations to study entomology?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I can’t say, Sir. I am interested to do some studies and I thought, entomology is not really bad. That’s it.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Can you tell me about your current research?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : It’s a pretty long story. In brief, it’s doing some gene knockout and gene expression related experiments in molecular environments. We are doing it in fishes, mainly; and genes are related to color production.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: How do you think about human entomology interactions?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I am not that much worthy to comment on this. In a word, I can say, Its of course “interesting”.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Can i tell you, you are successful zoologist and entomologist?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : No, no, no, an academic person is never successful. I got a chance to study more and my main job is to do academic studies, I acknowledge my luck, truly.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Why or why not?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I think you have your answer, Sir.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Why do you like to work as zoologist and entomologist?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I am trained or motivated to do this job for more than a decade. I don’t know any more point answering this questions.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Sometimes
are you disappointed as zoologist and entomologist?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : Not really, I am a happy biologist in terms of my social and academic career.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are your future steps in Conservation?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I’m not sure, because I’m doing some molecular experiments only and I can only hope that my findings could help someone to do some conservation works.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: How does your work in entomology benefit the society?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : I never claim a research work can help the society directly, I never even thought in this direction. I am a simple worker who wants to do more experiments and write the results. I need much more studies to comment on the issue.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What is your memorable work?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : In our recent publications, we could partially unveil the roles of a few genes in color production pathways. The works were challenging, and I remember those days with respect. I’m missing those days and waiting for the stupid Covid-19 virus to go forever so that we can start similar experiments very soon.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What advice would you give students who are looking to go into field work?

Biplab Kumar Mandal : Keep yourself safe, sound and fit; keep studying. If you really want to find something out, you can make it happen, it’s only a matter of time.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Thank you for giving me the time.

Biplab Kumar Mandal : Thank you, Sir. It’s been always a pleasure talking to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment