2/07/2024

Wildlife biologists need to always go out in the field and remote areas: Bisharga Das

 




Bisharga Das, Assistant Professor, Department of zoology, Jagannath University was present at tea with Dr. Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra’s online biology interview.  He has many experiences in the wildlife field.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Firstly, what is your educational background?

Bisharga Das: I studied Zoology during my Bachelor and Master degree at Jahangirnagar University. I received training on wildlife Biology, management and conservation during my master study. I did a second Master degree on Bioinformatics from Mumbai University, India.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: As a zoologist and wildlife biologist, what do you think, what training courses or extra education are needed to improve?

Bisharga Das: Our curriculum needs a paradigm shift. A shift that aims for providing education and training to create graduates who are adept in problem solving and are independent, competent and can survive as a researcher. That being said, I feel an urge to clarify the problem with our current curriculum. Our current curriculum is producing graduates who are simply good at memorizing without understanding the fundamentals, unable to link theory and practices, bad at problem solving, unable to think outside the box to push boundaries and thoroughly incompetent. Most of our graduates are efficient copycat machines and therefore can not survive as researchers.

Institutes should provide more opportunities to students so that they are better equipped to survive and compete globally when they are out in the field. In this regard, I found most of our university curriculums in Bangladesh are weak in design and lagging far behind from the modern world.

Curriculums need to include more hands-on training and courses on statistics and data analysis, science writing, science communication, logic, critical thinking and fundraising skills. Most importantly, curriculums need to discard many subjects that are taught because it was traditionally taught in this way and now adds nothing to our graduates learning and skill sets. At least, they should be given choices to decide. Those who are motivated and want to get into the research field, should be equipped with these even if it is absent in the curriculum.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are you studying right now?

Bisharga Das: At present, I am studying migration ecology of birds as part of my PhD at University of Groningen, the Netherlands.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What types of questions are you trying to solve in your research?

Bisharga Das: Why some of Black-tailed Godwits are using coastal mudflats while others are using freshwater habitats.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What do you think, what are the challenges in a wildlife field?

Bisharga Das: Funding and logistics are obvious challenges in this field. But I consider approach of public towards this field is a major challenge. Many people including influential do not consider this field as serious as they consider computer science or medicine. Many see it as a part time volunteer work in Bangladesh and fail to distinguish professionals from amateurs.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What do you think, what are the misconceptions in wildlife biology? 

Bisharga Das: Wild animals are only found in forests and remote areas. Wildlife biologists need to always go out in the field and remote areas. Conservation of wildlife means only saving forests.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are your inspirations to study wildlife? 

Bisharga Das: Inspirations change with time. For example, when I was a Bachelor student, my seniors, teachers and supervisor were my inspiration, later as a teacher my students became my inspirations and now as a PhD student, my supervisor Prof. Theunis Piersma is a great inspiration for me. But one thing that didn’t change was my fascination for birds. Birds always inspire me.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Can you tell me about your current research?

Bisharga Das: I am fascinated by bird migration and therefore trying to investigate the choice of an ecosystem with constraints versus trade off of a migratory bird species named Black-tailed Godwit. I am going to use advanced tracking devices to know their migration routes and strategies to and from Bangladesh which are not known to us at present.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What do you think about human Wildlife interactions?

Bisharga Das: I think about it in a very positive way. People should have more interaction opportunities with wildlife. It has health benefits and the opportunity to engage people in conservation of biodiversity and adopt an eco-friendly lifestyle. However, we should manage negative interactions more strategically and efficiently such as conflict with tigers and elephants.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Can I tell you, you are a successful zoologist and wildlife biologist? Why or why not?

Bisharga Das: I have to go a long way even before I think about this question. However, I never strive for success rather I strive for making an impact.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Why do you like to work as a zoologist and wildlife biologist?

Bisharga Das: I can’t think of anything else. Simply, I love them and can observe them for hours without being bored. In addition, I feel a bliss studying wild animals and can connect myself in the web of life. It also provides me clarity in understanding processes of my own species.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Sometimes are you disappointed as a zoologist and wildlife biologist?

Bisharga Das: I feel privileged for my work but I feel disappointed when I think of the future of all the birds and animals I love and work for. The way we as a human species are driving thousands of other species towards extinction who have existed for billions of years is disappointing.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What are your future steps in wildlife Conservation? 

Bisharga Das: At the moment, I am focused on learning tools, techniques and practicing things to develop myself as a competent conservation professional and pass on. In the future, I want to conduct quality research to generate evidence so that policy can be made based on information not based on mere demands or emotion.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: How does your work in wildlife benefit society?

Bisharga Das: Migratory birds can act as global sentinels to understand the changes of ecosystems on a global scale. They can tell us untold and unseen stories ahead of time to save ourselves from disasters only if the society is ready to listen and see to save them and trust science.

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: What is your memorable work. What advice would you give students who are looking to go into field work?

Bisharga Das: I am not convinced I have done any memorable work yet even though I have many memories of joy and inspiration from my work for myself. To students, it’s fun if you enjoy it and it’s a pain if you don’t. 

Bibhuti Bhushan Mitra: Thank you for giving me the time.

Bisharga Das: Thank you and It’s been my pleasure too.

No comments:

Post a Comment